cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonas_eTy
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all!

Clicking an URL link in 'list view' does not open the URL in a new tab in the web browser. Instead it 'highlights' the URL in goes into edit mode.

I want a click to 'follow the link'. How/is it possible to do that?

output.gif

Thanks for any suggestions!

/Jonas

6 Replies 6
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Yeah that does seem weird. Is using the button field type not a viable option for this case?

Jonas_eTy

Yes, you can use the button — but I rather not introduce more fields (columns). I am fighting hard to cut down everything that is not necessary in the database. 

Kyrstin_Graves
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Do you have the field type set to URL? I have a URL field in one of my bases and it works just fine when I click the URL.

If however, you have it in a text field, it won't work the same way.

I use the list view:

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 15.01.45.png

And, yes, the field type is set to URL.

Kyrstin_Graves
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Ah. I see. I've never used list view. Not sure what it's use case is for, but I did some testing. It does look like the only option is to open the record and then click the URL if you aren't interested in adding a button field. Or switching to a different view type depending on whether that's viable for your team. 

Without knowing your use case for list view, I can't really suggest any definitive alternative options other than that. Though you could try rebuilding in an interface if something like Grid View doesn't work for your use case.

I use list view in a CRM solution. It is very handy! All communication is collected under a lead

• Lead 1
    • Log 1
    • log 2
    • log 3
  • Lead 2
    • log 1
    • log 2
    • log 3

This way you have quick access to all meta data for the lead (essentially: status and a link to the website of that company and a link to its LinkedIn page). And for any given lead you can drill down into the actual communication that has been logged to show the contact its role, LinkedIn link etc.

The list view is in my opinion one of the most powerful add-ons to Airtable's views. Previously, I tried to achieve the functionality mentioned above by using Interfaces, but it was never really that pleasant to use...