Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Share "record detail pages" between interfaces

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Berezny
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast
What is the proposed idea/solution?

Allow the same "record detail page" to be used across multiple interfaces

How does is solve the user problems?

Currently a designed "record detail page" is restricted to ONE interface. However, since we can incorporate multiple interfaces across one app (via the left nav bar navigation in interfaces), it is common to need to access the same record from a different interface. Currently you have to rebuild the the record detail page for every interface that it's data is used in. (We currently have 4 interfaces, so we have to duplicate 4 times). Not only that, every time we make a change we have to change it in 4 places.

ALTERNATE SOLUTION

The add the ability to group pages on the left nav panel without needing to stick them into different interfaces. 

How was this validated?

At my company we've probably wasted 200 hours trying to keep our record details pages in sync,

Who is the target audience?

Interface app builders

3 Comments
katiedoleweerd
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be a huge time saver - so much wasted time maintaining layouts across different interfaces. Additionally, maintaining layouts is made more difficult because they cannot be deleted. We're constantly sorting through current and old versions of a layout, all unintentionally used in different locations.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

The ability to reuse record details across interfaces would be nice.

In the meantime, I tend to avoid using record details side-sheets for this specific reason. Instead, I have a full page layout and I use button fields to navigate to the full-page layout with the record details. It is not ideal, but it does let me maintain the layout in only one place.

Calvin_Young2
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is an extremely annoying limitation.

FWIW, you can duplicate a page from one interface to another and it carries the detail views with it.. which solves the problem of having to recreate detail views from scratch.  But you still have to edit each copy separately any time you want to make a change.  I've fallen to putting dates in the names of each, so I can keep track of the versions.  Very, very bad practice.